The 42nd Annual Washington State PTA Legislative Assembly was held virtually on October 24-25, 2020. The purpose of the assembly is to gather PTA delegates from across the state to decide on proposed issues, principles and resolutions that make up the WSPTA platform for advocacy. This year’s assembly also decided the Top 5 Legislative Issues that WSPTA will advocate in favor of during the upcoming state legislative session in Olympia. Over 250 voting delegates representing 139 PTAs (including Cherry Crest) and all 13 regions of the state came together and decided the below Top 5 Legislative Priorities for 2020-21. All issues, principles and resolutions on WSPTA’s platform can be used to support advocacy at all levels (state, local, district, school). For details on all issues, principles and resolutions on the current platform visit the WSPTA’s Advocacy page.
Top 5 Legislative Priorities for 2020-2021
- Increase Access to Nursing, Mental Health, and Social Emotional Learning Staff
- Support Students and Preserve Education Funding
- Increasing Educational Equity by Closing the Digital Divide
- Supports and Funding for Students with Disabilities and Their Families
- Prevent and Reduce Gun Violence and Suicide